Last Saturday morning I started digging up roots and clearing out the garden area. Apparently I was a sight because all of my neighbors came out to ask what I was doing and if I needed help. I managed to fill the back of the pickup (borrowed from dad) with dirt and sticker bush cuttings and took a trip to the yard waste recycling center. Good thing it was pretty close by because I was dragging a metal tie down the entire way. I was feeling so proud of myself, just to realize I was creating a spark trail all the way to the dump. I still have tilling to do and then sifting the soil so I can plant. I'm borrowing the neighbors tiller this week, so more updates to come!
Clara turned three on the 9th and the West clan went to Carkeet Park that afternoon on the most glorious day 2008 has given us. The kids played and Layne proved himself to be the "dog whisperer." He actually got Clyde to lay down on the first command. The day was amazing and it was fun to watch the kids play. I think it got above 75 degrees - of course it snowed this weekend, so it was just a tease.
That night Katy and Page came over for dinner and we made empanadas and I taught them how to make guacamole. They both are graduating in June and Katy is starting at Evergreen in the Fall. We had fun although I think I started them cooking with a fairly labor-intensive dish! I'm now hooked on empanadas and worked on the recipe a bit more this weekend-
Finishing off last weekend I went down to Tacoma to meet my dad and see the house he is building. I included a picture - it's amazing and I can't wait to see what it looks like when it's finished! They will be moving in this summer.
This weekend we celebrated Heather's birthday with Chinese food at Lee's in West Seattle (oh so yummy) on Friday night. As Heather said to her boyfriend, you know you're getting older when girls night out ends at 10:30 with everyone falling asleep in front of a movie.
Saturday I went to see Krissy, Paul and Caden. Krissy and I got pedis in celebration of her birthday which is today. I made them my updated empanada recipe and I got to see Krissy get her gifts. Paul had Mardi deliver them -
Tonight Katy Davis and I are headed to see Rilo Kiley at the Showbox. I am so excited! I am sad that Ryan can't be here though. I know missing concerts is probably the hardest part of being away - second to missing me I'm sure!
We have been really lucky though- we talk nearly everyday and actually got 2 hours on the phone today. I really miss him, but I feel incredibly fortunate to get to talk to him as much as I do. I can't imagine not being able to be in touch. He's doing well and is trying to get in to a routine. He volunteered to help out at the hospital on his days off, so if all goes well he'll be busy everyday. His blog will be updated soon - so stay tuned!
Em

No comments:
Post a Comment