I got to go to Virginia to see Ryan over Easter weekend. They had a couple scheduled days off and I booked the first flight out! After a near disaster with canceled flights, I arrived in Norfolk Saturday evening. I rented a Mustang (who rents a Mustang?) and headed to Williamsburg to see my hubby.
We woke up to a crisp sun shiny day on Sunday and met Ryan's teammates at Busch Gardens for a day filled with roller coasters, funnel cakes and Das Festhaus! (German show and brats in a large auditorium). We rode some crazy coasters and I even got a little sunburned from the beautiful day.

The next day I found a Holiday Inn Express that took pity on me and let me use their business center to write an auto review- my wireless wasn't working at the three previous places I stopped so I think they saw the desperation on my face. After hammering out a quick review of the Honda CR-V I headed to Colonial Williamburg. I wandered around and talked to the tailor and the learned about the courts and eventually settled in for a glass of Cab and a cheese plate at the aptly named Cheese Shop. Another beautiful day and a lot of walking.When Ryan finished with war games I picked him up at his hotel. His blog has some of the photos, it was a pretty crazy day for them. We and three of his teammates, two that are in Balad with him, went to a very nice dinner at Opus 9 in Williamburg. Incredible steaks and a nice atmosphere. They were smart and heeded our request to be placed in the back corner as to not disrupt others' meals. We had a good time.
The final day I spent in VA we shopped and went to dinner at the King's Arm Tavern. It's located in the historical area and they have wandering musicians and storytellers. It was good food and fun to tie our napkins around our necks and eat. The strangest thing about the napkin around the neck is that you get really hot!
It was much harder to say goodbye the second time. Ryan is doing really well and I'm so proud of him. He is going to have a lot of responsibility while he's there and hopefully will enjoy the challenge of running the operations center. I am anxious to hear what it's like there so I can start putting together the mental picture of where he is and what he's doing. I have his mailing address and some tips for sending packages - email me if you want me to send it on.
Em

No comments:
Post a Comment